AIP Breakfast: What to eat?
Breakfast seems to stump many people when they first embark on the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP). There’s no shortage of AIP Breakfast recipes out there, and there’s always the option of eating last night’s leftovers, but sometimes you don’t want to cook or reheat food. And you want something crunchy. Reeeally crunchy.
Make some crunchy AIP breakfast granola
I don’t really consider myself the crunchy granola sort but I actually do love food with crunch and I’ve been loving matcha for over 20 years now, so it was only natural that I tried to marry these two loves of mine together by making granola. Thankfully granola can be made AIP. No oats? No problem. Tigernuts take centre stage here! When in flake/ slice form, they resemble big pieces of rolled oats and become wonderfully crisp when toasted.
Initial effort = Fruitful outcome
This recipe requires your initial effort in making the granola, but once that’s done, it’s a simple matter of pouring it out, mixing it with coconut milk or tigernut milk (horchata), and some berries! An AIP breakfast you can fall back on especially when you need to rush out of the door. Just don’t make it a daily habit, ok?
Where to purchase certain ingredients online to make the recipe (affiliate links):
- Coconut oil
- Raw honey
- Vanilla bean
- Gelatin powder
- Matcha powder
- Tigernut flakes
- Wide cut coconut flakes
- Tigernut flour
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 tablespoon gelatin powder
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder, divided
- 1.5 cups tigernut flakes (or sliced tigernuts)
- 1 cup wide cut coconut flakes
- ¾ cup tigernut flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 300F/ 150C.
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut oil in a medium saucepan, along with the honey, vanilla bean powder, and gelatin powder.
- Heat at medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a silicone spatula.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon matcha powder, tigernut flakes, coconut flakes, tigernut flour, and sea salt.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, scrape the mixture onto the prepared sheet pan.
- Distribute evenly, pressing down well.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir once, then bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Break up into small chunks and sprinkle 1 tablespoon matcha powder.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature
Hungry for more granola?
Here are some other delicious AIP-friendly granola recipes:
- Meatified’s Sweet & Salted AIP Granola
- A Squirrel in the Kitchen’s Vanilla Cinnamon Breakfast Granola
- Paleomantic’s Real Simple Granola
- Backcountry Paleo’s Easy Lemon Ginger Tigernut Granola
- Unbound Wellness’ Grain-free Blueberry Coconut Granola
- Grazed and Enthused’s Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Joanna Frankham’s Totally Awesome Jaffa Tigernut Granola
- The Sweet Pea Blogger’s AIP & Paleo Granola
- Real Plan’s Coconut Carrot Granola
- Grass Fed Salsa’s Tropical Protein Granola