Welcome to my new address! I’ve been busy migrating my blog from its old address over to its own domain and it feels so much better! I hope you like it as much as I do, I realised that the previous theme was not particularly mobile-friendly. There’s loads to learn and figure out, I’ll be making changes here and there to improve the site along the way.
I have a quick and easy recipe for you today! Do you love cabbage? I do! It’s economical, lasts for ages in the refrigerator, and has a lovely natural sweetness that enhances just about any dish it is in. I love how quick and easy this dish can be whipped up in the Instant Pot – an electronic pressure cooker (that can also do sautés, make yogurt, pressure cook, steam, etc). With only 3 minutes of active pressure cooking time, the cabbage comes out nice and soft and goes really well with the juicy minced pork. My kids gobble this up willingly as it’s not fussy and easy to eat (especially for the little one who just turned one this month). The preserved lemon adds a nice hint of zest to the cabbage, although it could be omitted if not readily available.
This should do the trick for the days when you don’t need something fancy and just want to fill your tummy with hot wholesome food quickly. I’ve made this 3 times the past month! What do you cook when you want something quick and easy?
- 1 tbsp bacon fat/ oil of your choice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 lb lean minced pork
- ½ head medium green cabbage, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- ½ head medium red cabbage, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ preserved lemon, diced (optional)
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced diagonally (about ⅓" thick)
- ½ cup bone broth
- Sea salt, to taste
- Coconut aminos or soy-free coconut seasoning, to taste
- 1 sheet toasted seaweed
- Select 'sauté' setting on your Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Once the display shows 'Hot', place fat/ oil in the inner pot, add shallots and cook until they start to brown
- Cooking in batches, add half of the minced pork into the inner pot, allowing it to brown before removing, then cook the other half
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the sea salt and coconut aminos
- Press 'Keep warm/cancel' setting and cover, sealing the valve
- Press 'Manual' setting and adjust the cooking time to 3 minutes
- Once the cooking time is complete, release pressure by quick release method
- Stir gently to mix and season to taste with sea salt and coconut aminos
- Garnish with thinly cut strips of seaweed, if desired, and serve